WEBU-AM 1160 
Deland

Original call Letters: WEBU

Originally Licensed: Sep 1924  

Original City of License: Deland 

Original Frequency: 1160 

Origin of Call Letters: Sequentially issued                                                                                       

Original Power: 5 watts                                                                                                                   

Original Location: 131 N. Woodland Blvd                                                                  

Deland Piano and Music Company

Original Format: Variety

           131 N. Woodland Ave.


Network Affiliation(s):


Owner(s): 


1924-Deland Piano and Music Company


History Of  Call Letters and Formats:


WEBU-1924-Variety  "The Music House of Volusia County"


History of WEBU
WEBU went on the air in September of 1924. J.J. Tillis was the owner of Deland Piano and Music Company, who also sold radio sets at the time. In October, 1924, WEBU's license was cancelled, but in November of that same year they were granted a new Class A license and returned to the air. On Dec. 8, 1924, owner Tillis notified the Radio Division, Bureau of Navigation, US Department of Commerce, (forerunner to the FCC) that "...broadcast station WEBU has been billed 500 dollars for it's AT&T license fee..." and it's "...not worth the amount. Request cancel our license immediately." After a few broadcasts WEBU returned it's license in December of 1924.  In 1926, the Deland Piano and Music Company requested a new license for the proposed 500 watt station, but the Bureau indicated that all frequencies had been assigned and there was no guarantee of licensing. It was then, that Deland Piano and Music Company abandoned their plans.


Names In WEBU History

J.J. Tillis-1924-License holder/owner of Deland Piano and Music Company


What's New
  


Biographies
 


In Memory

Sounds 
AM / FM


Misc.


Links
 


Chronology


What's News?