WWLW-AM  1320
Coleman

Original Call Letters: WHOF

Originally Licensed: Dec. 24, 1985

Original City of  License: Coleman

Original Frequency: 1320

Origin of Call Letters:  

Original Power: 500 watts daytime

Original Format: Oldies

Original Location:  2809 W. Main St. in Leesburg with transmitting facilities near Coleman


Network Affiliation(s):


ABC Information
Florida News Network


Owner(s):


1985-WHOF, Inc. (Jim Patrick, Gene Smith and Dr. Larry Lammers) 
1986-Larry Lamers
1987-Eric Rutberg

1987-Elvin and Brent Harmond ($100,000 for the tower, license and call letters. Studios not included)


History of Call Letters and Formats:


WHOF-1985-Adult Standards/Big Bands

WFRK-1986-Oldies

WMHI-1986-Easy Listening

WMHI-1987-Rock/Country   ''Country Music With A Kick''

WWLW-1987-Oldies

WFRK-1988-50s, 60s and 70s  "Famous Rock"

WFRK-1989-Silent


History Of WWLW
Thanks to Marc Tyll for this history of WWLW
WWLW began operations in 1985 as WHOF-AM 1320 "The Heart Of Florida," and it was an ABC/Information affiliate, originally broadcasting a 500 watt signal during the day-time hours. Its format was Adult Standards and could be heard on 1320 kHz throughout most of East Sumter and West Lake Counties. Although the station was licensed to Coleman, the station's studio and office is at 2809 W. Main St. in Leesburg with transmitting facilities near Coleman in Sumter County. WHOF’s studios remained there until the format and call letters were moved to AM 640. The format on AM 1320 became a modified version of the original Adult Standards under the call letters WMHI until it was sold a few months later in 1988. From 1988 until 1989 the AM 1320 studios were located between Leesburg and Tavares (next door to a funeral home) and was known as "Rock Country" although it had more of a 70s classic hits sound. The call letters were WWLW, and the format nor the station lasted very long, going silent in late 1989.


Names In WWLW History

Jim Patrick-1985-Co-owner

Gene Smith-1985-Co-owner 

Dr. Larry Lammers-1985-Co-owner 

Eric Rutberg-1987-Owner

Elvin Harmond-1987-Co-owner              

Brent Harmond-1987-Co-owner

Tommy Roberts-1987-Eric Rutberg Ownership

Bill Mattson-1987-Chief Engineer-Eric Rutberg Ownership
Mary Mac-1987-Sales-Eric Rutberg Ownership
Helen Wells-1987-Sales-Eric Rutberg Ownership


What's New
  


Biographies
 


In Memory

Sounds 
AM / FM


Misc.


Links
 


Chronology


What's News?