WLAK-AM 1310

Original Call Letters: WLAK 

Originally Licensed: May 15, 1936

Original City of License: Lakeland 

Original Frequency: 1340

Origin of Call Letters: Location; LAKeland 

Original Power: 100 Watts

Original Location: New Florida Hotel

Original Format: Variety

Network Affiliation:

NBC (1938)

                                                                                                     New Florida Hotel first home of WLAK


Lake Region Broadcasting Co.

1941-Bradley R. Eidmann ($13,000)
1942-Lake Region Broadcasting Company ($23,000) 
1958-Florida Central Broadcasting Company  
1971-Sentinel Broadcasting Co.
1979-Bob Kelly
1983-Root Communications
1996-Hall Communications

History Of Call Letters and Formats:

WLAK-1942-MOR  (Moved to 1430)
WQPD-1971-Top 40
WLKF-1983-Adult Contemporary
WLKF-1996-News Talk Information "WLKF How Lakeland Spells Talk"

WLAK History
WLAK began broadcasting from the New Florida Hotel in downtown Lakeland, the year was 1936. The first remote broadcast heard on WLAK was a church service. By 1942 WLAK would move the studios and offices to  the shores of-what was then called-Lake Boney-now called Lake Bonny and would change frequencies to
1430 AM.

Names In WLAK History

J.E.P. Marchant-1936-President-Lake Region Broadcasting Co.
Bert Arnold-1936-Station Manager-Lake Region Broadcasting Co.
D.M. Brown-1936-Sales Manager-Lake Region Broadcasting Co.
James H. Jones-1936-Commercial Manager-Lake Region Broadcasting Co.
Gordon Fletcher-1936-Program Director-Lake Region Broadcasting Co.
Elvan B. Wilson-1936-Musical Director-Lake Region Broadcasting Co.
Powell Hunter-1936-Chief Engineer-Lake Region Broadcasting Co.

Bradley R. Eidmann-1941-Owner

Robert 'Bob' Porter-Host of "Uncle Bob and the Funnies"

Marji Bedgood


What's New


In Memory

AM / FM 



What's News?