WFRK-AM 1320
Coleman

Original Call Letters:  WHOF 

Originally Licensed: Aug 24, 1985  

Original City of License: Coleman

Original Frequency: 1320 

Origin of Call Letters:  

Original Power: 500 watts daytime

Original Location: 

Original Format: Adult Standards

Original Location: 2809 W. Main St. in Leesburg with transmitting facilities near Coleman


Network Affiliation(s):

ABC Information

Owner(s):

1985-WHOF, Inc.  (Jim Patrick, Gene Smith and Dr. Larry Lammers) 
1986-Larry Lamers
1987-Eric Rutberg
1987-Elvin and Brent Harmond ($100,000 for the tower, license and call letters. Studios not included)

History of Call Letters and Formats:

WHOF-1985-Adult Standards/Big Bands
WFRK-1986-Oldies
WMHI-1986-Easy Listening
WMHI-1987-Rock/Country   ''Country Music With A Kick''
WWLW-1987-Oldies
WFRK-1988-50s, 60s and 70s  "Famous Rock"
WFRK-1993-Silent   (Feb 17, 1993)
WFRK-1996-License Cancelled/Frequency Deleted   (Feb 1, 1996)


History Of WFRK
Thanks to Marc Tyll for this history of WFRK.
WFRK began operations in 1985 as WHOF-AM "The Heart Of Florida," and it was an ABC Information affiliate, originally broadcasting a 500 watt signal during the day-time hours. Its format was Adult Standards and could be heard on 1320 kHz throughout most of East Sumter and West Lake Counties. Although the station was licensed to Coleman, the station's studio and office is at 2809 W. Main St. in Leesburg with transmitting facilities near Coleman in Sumter County. WHOF’s studios remained there until the format and call letters were moved to AM 640. The format on AM 1320 became a modified version of the original Adult Standards under the call letters WMHI until it was sold a few months later in 1988. From 1988 until 1989 the AM 1320 studios were located between Leesburg and Tavares (next door to a funeral home) and was known as "Rock Country" although it had more of a 70s classic hits sound. The call letters were WWLW, and the format nor the station lasted very long, going silent in late 1989 after one more change of call letters and format.


Names In WFRK History

Jim Patrick-1985-WHOF, Inc.
Gene Smith-1985-WHOF, Inc. In Memory
Dr. Larry Lammers-1985WHOF, Inc.

Tom Chapman-1987-Sales Manager

Tim Downs-1988-Mornings/General Manager-Elvin and Brent Harmond Ownership/1993-Program Director -Starett Media Corp.

Cindy Dickey-1988-Mornings-Elvin and Brent Harmond Ownership/1993-News Director-Starett Media Corp.
Matt Ward-1988-Mornings-Elvin and Brent Harmond Ownership  
John Bussanick-1993-President/General Manager-Starett Media Corp.
John Michaels-1993-General Sales Manager-Starett Media Corp.
Bruce Mattson-1993-Chief Engineer-Starett Media Corp.


What's New
  


Biographies
 


In Memory

Sounds
AM / FM


Misc.


Links
 


Chronology


What's News?